Skip to Content

Cloak In-Progress (Almost Done!)

Velvet and Wool CloakVelvet and Wool Cloak
So, I've made progress on my cloak! Actually I think all that's left at this point is hemming it. I haven't decided exactly how long it needs to be, though. I'm actually having some thoughts of trying to make it floor length or almost floor length, but with some way to fasten it up at least another several inches to keep it off the ground, especially when it's icky out.

Dfr thought that the wool should be on the outside and I thought that the velvet should be on the outside.. But who says it should have an outside at all? I decided it should be reversible.

I haven't decided if that ribbon closure is permanent or not. A tie closure certainly is the easiest way to close a reversible cloak. I might go with a less conspicuous ribbon, though. Or a Chinese frog closure, maybe on both sides? ...or I'll just keep the ribbon.

Of course, eventually I'll get a penannular brooch, which will make closure on most capes moot.

It wouldn't have worked to make it reversible via the directions, but I wasn't fond of the directions anyways, so I scrapped them. They were just wrong anyways. They wanted the outside to be sewn to the lining at the bottom! And they wanted the lining to be sewn to the outside at the bottom too, before sewing on the hood! Even if I weren't making it reversible I wouldn't have gone for that.

I haven't pressed it at all yet, besides pressing open the seams on the wool part. Pressing velvet is a PITA. I haven't decided just how much pressing actually needs to be done.

Velvet side out vs. wool side out is certainly a very different look.



about seo | story